The lobby group Europe Israel Public Affairs has been using a discredited video to smear victims of the recent massacre in Gaza. (Via Facebook)
By David Cronin
Burying the truth is accorded a high priority when states commit atrocities.
On 30 January 1972, the British Army shot dead 13 unarmed demonstrators during a civil rights march in Derry. Edward Heath, then prime minister, was determined that the ensuing inquiry into Bloody Sunday – as the massacre became known – would be a whitewash.
“It had to be remembered that in Northern Ireland, we were fighting not only a military war but a propaganda war,” Heath told a judge tasked with “investigating” what happened.
It was a bloody Monday in Gaza last week. Dozens of unarmed demonstrators were shot dead. And – like the British authorities more than 40 years ago – Israel’s supporters launched the latest salvo in their propaganda war.
Europe Israel Public Affairs – a Brussels-based lobby group – alleged that Hamas had manipulated the media coverage of the killings. Journalists had been lured into “the sinister world of Hamas,” the group suggested.
The “sinister world” was, according to Europe Israel Public Affairs’ latest newsletter, one “where 62 innocents turn out to be overwhelmingly terrorists” and where photographs and videos are “doctored.”
The first segments of such videos – depicting an injured youth being carried on a stretcher – get sent to major broadcasters, the group claimed. Yet the full video, it added, shows “the teenager apparently having made a miraculous recovery and high-fiving his friends for the deception, all caught on camera.”
I contacted Europe Israel Public Affairs asking for an example of the photographs or videos to which it referred. It sent me two links, both videos.
One appeared to show a young man being carried on a stretcher through a fog of tear gas before standing up again. The video was uploaded to YouTube on 5 May – nine days before last week’s massacre.
It was titled “Gaza Pallywood” – a racist term implying that Palestinians are faking the pain inflicted on them by Israel.
The video had been uploaded by Legal Insurrection, a right-wing website. Legal Insurrection has helpfully named the source for the video: a tweet from the Israeli army.
That raises major questions about the video’s credibility..
An army which routinely violates human rights should not, to put it mildly, be regarded as an objective provider of information. Israel’s army has often told lies about Palestinians as part of its propaganda war.
Nor does the grainy 27-second video – which appears to have been edited – show precisely what is claimed. The man on the stretcher is never seen walking – as Legal Insurrection alleges.
What it appears to show is simply a person in a condition that made him unable to run being evacuated to an area deemed safer, and then standing up.
Since it appears the Israelis filmed it from a distance, it is unclear what incentive Palestinians would have to fake such an incident – especially since everyone involved would have been at very real risk of being shot. Israeli snipers have not spared anyone, including journalists and paramedics.
Distracting from the facts
An even more outrageous claim made by Europe Israel Public Affairs was that videos have emerged of “dead people under Hamas blankets coming back to life.”
The example which the group gave me of such a video was, it claimed, from 2014. In actual fact, the video was from a year earlier and had been filmed in Egypt, not Gaza.
It featured what activists call a “die-in” at Cairo’s Al-Azhar University.
No one looking at the video in good faith could conclude that it is anything other than what it appears to be: a demonstration – and the title of the original 2013 video describes it as such.
An October 2013 report in El Badil, the publication that uploaded the video to YouTube on the same day, describes the event as a student protest against the military coup in Egypt earlier that year. The students seen in the video are wearing shrouds bearing the names of people who had been killed in incidents around the country, according to El Badil.
The same video has also been deployed in efforts to discredit reports of atrocities during the war in Syria.
Europe Israel Public Affairs is led by Alex Benjamin. He is a former member of staff with Britain’s Conservatives, the party once led by the aforementioned Edward Heath.
One day after last week’s massacre, Benjamin wrote on Facebook that Iran is “seemingly paying Hamas to fund these protests with tragic consequences.”
Benjamin was almost certainly referring to press reports based on briefings from Israel’s secret police, the Shin Bet. The Israeli media has acknowledged that Shin Bet has not provided any concrete evidence of Iranian involvement in the protests.
That story was published by some outlets last Monday – around the same time that news of the massacre in Gaza was breaking. The insinuation that Gaza’s protesters are effectively mercenaries for Iran looks like a desperate attempt to distract from incontrovertible facts – like how Israel has been deliberately killing and maiming Palestinians demanding basic rights.
Hypnotized by Hamas?
Contrary to what Europe Israel Public Affairs claimed, there is no reason to believe that Western media were hypnotized by Hamas last week. Much of the coverage repeated fallacious motifs about “clashes” on the “Gaza border.”
Israeli spokespeople were invited to take part in typically softball interviews. The BBC reported that the “only issue” at stake related to “proportionate force.” If Israel had chosen a more gentle form of “crowd control” – a euphemism for repression – then there would be nothing to worry about, the broadcaster implied.
Predictably, the pro-Israel lobby has pounced on a boast by one Hamas official that 50 of those killed last week were affiliated to the organization. The boast has not been verified and is ultimately irrelevant to the patent illegality of Israel’s conduct.
Long before last week, Israel had declared Gaza a “hostile entity.”
That designation is unknown in international law. It offered no more than a flimsy pretext for suffocating one of the most densely populated areas on earth.
The Great Return March represents a concerted effort to embrace an unarmed form of resistance. The tactics and teachings of Mahatma Gandhi are being practiced in Gaza.
Huge courage has been displayed in the face of snipers’ bullets. And the response of Israel’s supporters has been to blame and besmirch the victims.
Ali Abunimah contributed research.
Sherwin Crasto / Global Look Press
UK’s international intelligence service, MI6, has launched their first ever TV ad to attract mothers from black and ethnic minority backgrounds, in a bid to create a more diverse and emotionally intelligent spy workforce.
Speaking at the launch of the new TV and online advertising campaign, the agency’s chief, Alex Younger, said “We want, oxymoronically, people who never thought of joining MI6 – to join MI6,” Bloomberg reports.
The TV and online ad depicts what appears to be a black mother observing her child staring up at an aquarium full of circling sharks, as the narrator says: “It’s not keeping your cool in a shark tank, it’s picking up on the silent cues that matter.
“Understanding others, help them see things differently. It’s exploring the world beyond your own. And if that sounds familiar it’s because you do it every day. MI6 – secretly we are just like you.”
The new MI6 appeal comes on the back of a surge in applications for the spy agency, following the poisoning of former Russian double agent Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia, according to the Evening Standard.
MI6’s head of recruitment, known only as ‘Emily,’ said MI6 were concerned that ethnic minorities were under-represented in its ranks. Just eight percent of the spy agency’s workforce are said to be from black and ethnic minority backgrounds – all in junior roles, Bloomberg reports.
Emily said that the roles on offer require skills including emotional intelligence, mental sharpness, and integrity, and that newcomers from diverse backgrounds who are able to “challenge group think” were a prerequisite.
MI6 intelligence officers say the agency provides flexible work patterns to accommodate busy parents, as it aims to recruit 800 more staff by 2021.
In turn, Younger insists that any preconceptions of what a British spy should look like need to be re-evaluated, saying: “There is no standard MI6 officer; if you have what it takes then apply to join us. Our work is exciting, intellectually challenging, and it matters.
“Regardless of background, if you have the skills we need and share our values, I want you to consider a career in intelligence, in a service that reflects today’s society.”
There have been reports of human-to-human Nipah virus transmission in India. | Photo: Reuters
The World Health Organization the Nipah virus was first identified during an outbreak of the disease in Kampung Sungai Nipah, Malaysia in 1998.
At least 10 people have died as a result of an outbreak of the Nipah virus, India’s Kerala state Health Minister K.K. Shylaja said.
“All efforts are also being made to ensure that more lives are not lost,” Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan said, adding that the government treating the outbreak with the “utmost seriousness.”
On Tuesday, Shylaja told reporters that two other people remain in critical condition. The disease, which is believed to be transmitted by bats and other animals, has a mortality rate ranging from 40 to 70 percent.
“Infection with Nipah virus is associated with encephalitis (inflammation of the brain). After exposure and an incubation period of 5 to 14 days, illness presents with 3-14 days of fever and headache, followed by drowsiness, disorientation and mental confusion. These signs and symptoms can progress to coma within 24-48 hours,” the United States’ Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.
Officials say around 94 people have been quarantined inside their homes [and] some nine people are under surveillance in hospitals, an NDTV report said.
Shylaja commented that no new cases have been reported in the last 24 hours and that 12 of the 18 samples tested for the virus, returned positive results.
The World Health Organization the Nipah virus was first identified during an outbreak of the disease in Kampung Sungai Nipah, Malaysia in 1998 – when pigs were found to be the hosts of the disease.
In Bangladesh, in 2004, humans became infected by consuming date palm sap that had been contaminated by infected fruit bats. There have also been reports of human-to-human transmission in a hospital in India.
There is currently no vaccine for the disease.
Interesting how they remind us of that other ‘virus’ that is going to wipe out humanity: Ebola.
Excerpt from Virus Mania about that nonsense:
In the same year (1995, by TWP), the US CDC sounded the alarm, warning insistently of an imminent Ebola virus pandemic. With the assistance of cluster methods, several fever cases in Kikwit, in the Democratic Republic of Congo, were separated out and declared as an outbreak of the Ebola epidemic. In their addiction to sensation the media reported worldwide that a deadly killer virus was about to leave its jungle lair and descend on Europe and the USA 73 (P. 59)
Time magazine showed spectacular pictures of CDC “detectives” in spacesuits impermeable to germs and colorful photographs in which the dangerous pathogen could ostensibly be seen. 74 The director of the UN AIDS program made the horror tangible by imagining: “It is theoretically possible that an infected person from Kikwit makes it to the capital, Kinshasa, climbs into a plane to New York, gets sick and then poses a risk to the USA.” Within a month, however, Ebola was no longer a problem in Africa, and not one single case was ever reported in Europe or North America>s And a publication in which the ebola virus is characterized (with its genetic material and virus shell) and shown in an electron micrograph is still nowhere to be found. (P. 60)
Nous apprenons aujourd’hui avec tristesse et colère l’incarcération d’Amalek à la prison de Saint-Brieuc en Bretagne…
Suite à un contrôle d’identité Amalek a été arrêté par la police et immédiatement incarcéré à la prison de Saint-Brieuc. De ce que nous savons la justice compte le garder longtemps… Amalek avait accumulé plusieurs procès et donc plusieurs peines. Si vous souhaitez lui écrire et/ou lui envoyer des mandats je vous communique ici l’adresse ainsi que son numéro d’écrou :
Pierre-Marie Payet, 1 Rue des Fusillés, 22000 Saint-Brieuc, numéro d’écrou : 21653
Recevoir du soutien de l’extérieur est primordial, nous comptons sur vous afin de faire le nécessaire. Évidemment, je vous invite tous à prier pour lui.
Remember that ridiculous hypocritical march after Rothschild’s Charlie Hebdo propaganda agency was ‘shot at’ by a bunch of Mossad, sorry I mean ‘Arab’, shooters?????
‘Je suis Charlie’, but they meant: ‘Je juif Charlie’.
In the case of the MH17 you have 2 sides:
1: the Russians did it, and
2: the Russians didn’t do it.
They are fighting with each other for 4 years now. Not just the Dutch and Russian regimes, no the public is forced into dividing into these 2 camps, preventing anybody from asking the question:
What if they are all lying and working together to cover up the truth and protecting the real murderers?
To me this sounds like the more realistic scenario since nor the Dutch nor the Russian story makes any sense whatsoever.
Yesterday the Dutch decided the Russians used one of their own buks from a specific military unit. Why would they do that? The Russians, after claiming a jet, never a buk, downed MH17 now say it was a Ukrainian buk. Right.
Here is the latest:
Russia Provides Evidence That Ukrainian BUK Launchers Downed MH17 – Russian MoD
© Sputnik / Andrey Stenin
Russia has provided exhaustive evidence pointing to the involvement of the Ukrainian BUK system crews in the destruction of the MH17 flight, Russian Defense Ministry said.
“The Russian Defense Ministry, both in the first hours after the tragedy, and in the future, officially denied the insinuations of the Ukrainian side about the alleged involvement of Russian servicemen in the skies of Ukraine and brought the relevant evidence to the Dutch investigation team. Not a single anti-aircraft missile system of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation has ever crossed the Russian-Ukrainian border,” the Russian Defense Ministry report said.
Dutch investigators in the case of the Boeing crash did not take into account eyewitness testimonies regarding the launch of a missile from territory controlled by the Ukrainian Armed Forces, the Russian Defense Ministry added.
“Within the framework of cooperation with Dutch law enforcement agencies, the Russian side presented exhaustive evidence… including field tests that clearly indicate the involvement of the Ukrainian Buk systems in the destruction of the passenger Boeing [aircraft] from the Netherlands in the sky of Ukraine,” the Russian Defense Ministry said added.
“No airborne targets approaching the Boeing passenger plane from the eastern side, including from the direction of Snezhnoye or Pervomayskoye were detected by this radar,” the ministry stressed.
The Russian Defense Ministry on Thursday expressed concern that the Dutch-led investigation of the downing of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 in eastern Ukraine in 2014 justifies its conclusions by using only images from social networks that have been expertly processed by computer graphics editing tools.
Earlier on Thursday, head of the Dutch National Police’s Central Crime Investigation department Wilbert Paulissen said the Dutch-led Joint Investigation Team (JIT) had come to the conclusion that the missile had been launched by the Buk missile system belonging to the Russian Armed Forces.
The Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777 crashed in eastern Ukraine on July 17, 2014, while flying to Kuala Lumpur from Amsterdam. All 298 passengers and crew on board the aircraft died. Ukrainian government forces and the local militias traded accusations regarding the incident, which occurred at a time of heavy fighting in the region.
The JIT, made up of Australia, Belgium, Malaysia, the Netherlands and Ukraine, tasked with probing the crash, found that the airliner was downed by a Buk missile system, which was brought from Russia and returned there after the crash. However, Russia’s Almaz-Antey, which developed the Buk missile system, rejected the findings, saying that three simulations showed that the missile was launched from the Zaroshchenske area, which was controlled by the Ukrainian army at the time of the downing.
In April, Almaz-Antey said that Russian radars did not register a missile launch targeting flight MH17, although it would have been technically possible.
The conflict in Donbass started in 2014, when Ukrainian authorities launched a military operation against the self-proclaimed Donetsk and Lugansk People’s Republics that refused to recognize the new government in Kiev, which came to power after what they considered to be a coup.
More on this:
We all know if you want to start WWIII you need enemies. The tensions are fueled with Iran, North Korea and Russia to convince everybody war is necessary to solve the ‘problems’ in the world.